IS JAPAN COOL? OKINAWA
Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium
1. Churaumi — meaning “beautiful pure ocean” in the Okinawan dialect — is located in Ocean Expo Park on the main Okinawa Island.
2. This world-class aquarium — one of Okinawa’s distinctive sightseeing spots — features a total of 77 tanks, including an enormous main tank called Kuroshio Sea.
3. Until 2005 when Georgia Aquarium opened in the U.S., this was the largest aquarium in the world.
4. Especially popular for its whale sharks, successfully raised for the first time in captivity, and devilfish (manta rays).
5. Access: Take a high-speed bus departing from Naha Airport or Naha Bus Terminal arriving at Nago Bus Terminal, where local buses go to the aquarium.