IS JAPAN COOL? OKINAWA
Village of Long Life
1. Ohgimi-son (Ohgimi village), located in the northern part of the main island of Okinawa, is known for the longevity of its residents. The village has the highest average life expectancy in Japan.
2. There are more than 100 villagers who are 90 years old or older out of a population of 3,500.
3. Most of those aged 90 and over are obaa (elderly women).
4. If you ask them the secret of long life, you’ll probably hear them mention warm climate, unhurried living, eating local foods, and working diligently.
5. To get to Ohgimi-son from Naha, you need to take a two-hour bus ride first to the Nago terminal. Then take an extra 45-minute bus ride from there to Yakubamae stop (Oganeku).