IS JAPAN COOL? OKINAWA
1. Sanctuary in Okinawa where rituals of Ryukyu Shintoism take place.
2. The seven most sacred utakis are called Ryukyu Kaibyaku Shichi-utaki. The supreme utaki among these is Sēfautaki.
3. During the rule of the Ryukyu Dynasty, only women were permitted to serve the gods. Even today, men are off-limits beyond certain designated areas.
4. Niraikanai (utopia) is thought to exist in the east, where the sun rises. So it’s customary to begin a pilgrimage starting from Sonohyan Utaki, located to the east of Shuri Castle.
5. Some utakis have been destroyed by excavations and land developments, but most utakis have been preserved by the local noros (priestesses).